10 November 2007

Wake Up!

So, I think I found a place to stay.

Since I am traveling by myself, it gets a bit more expensive. Also, I am debating on how long to stay in Sydney. 5.5 days or 4.5 days? I don't want to run out of things to do, nor do I want to get bored. Tricky tricky. Mel's mom is emailing some relatives/family friends in Sydney, so that is one day about, then I am going to email the prof I know at Uni Sydney so that might be another afternoon, I TOTALLY want to go to Bondi Beach and attempt at a tan (even though I turn into a tomato with SPF 50)....

As for my possible choice of hotel, well it's actually a hostel, called Wake Up! Sydney. I took a look at the site: it has keycard security, no curfew, lockers for personal possessions, color coded and themed floors, ranked 18 out of 20 in LP and according to the most recent review from Trip Advisor (last week actually) it was amazing. Too bad there are no single rooms, but the smallest room they have is 4 people and there is the "Female Only Option." I contacted them and they do have it.

They also won the award for Best Large Hostel in the World and the Best Hostel in Oceania; no matter what it looks a heck of a lot better than the place I stayed in Tokyo. That was a hostel, and it did look dingy. I think if I can survive than place, then this looks like a piece of cake. One professional reviewer called the place a "fancy hotel in disguise."

It looks fun. It's right in the center of Sydney, so at least I won't have a helluva time getting from transportation to it. I started looking on Qantas for flights - its 87,000yen (not like I'm paying for it, however!) and it leaves the 28th of Janaury at 9:20pm and arrives the next day at 11:00am Sydney time. (Australia is two hours ahead of Japan).

PERFECT - considering that I found out how to get to Canberra from the airport; there is a bus that goes directly from the airport (but starts in the city) then goes express to Canberra. Might take the train back into Sydney, since Wake Up! is right across the street from the station.

I also posted a note on the Aussie group over at Ravelry asking for tips on yarn stores, and if there is a local knitting group that wouldn't mind a visitor. Figured since I am on my own, it would be cool to drop in. They have their meeting on Thursdays, which makes me think about leaving the 8th, a Friday as opposed to the 7th, a Thursday. Either way, I can only sign for my scholarship on the 12th because of the flight times and such - so, stay the extra day and have more fun?

Wake Up! is only A$36 so it's not that bad. Just have to think about what I want to see, so I am really going to have to get LP Sydney this Friday. Also have to let teachers know, since I am going to be leaving during finals period and have to reschedule exams if any, then check out the co-op and JTB for tickets because while I can get my ticket at Qantas.com, I don't want to use my credit card.